My work explores quiet, figureless, symbolist landscapes through the medium of photography, screen prints and artist books; I like to capture muted, weathered textures and atmospheric linear structures in a particular location. The geographies I photograph, are void of people, allowing for a sense of isolation, calm, loneliness or serenity to be felt. I further develop these photographs into either digital prints or hand pulled silk screen prints on a variety of papers, which are manipulated further into the form of artist books. My hope is that by creating these smaller structures, I can emphasise the gentleness of the original landscapes. With regard to the screen prints, rather than creating a direct representation of the original photograph, I abstract the image with geometric shapes, playing on the themes of topography, map symbols and meanings associated with Enzõ.
I grew up in the North East of Scotland and graduated from the University of Northumbria at Newcastle, England, in 1996 with a BA (Hons) degree in Fashion Design; working in womenswear design and retail in London. I moved back to Scotland, becoming an interior designer and freelance photographer.
Presenting creative workshops to young people of school leaver age, initiated a move into education soon after; studying for a PGCE in Art Education at Goldsmiths University of London in 2008 and then becoming an Art and Photography teacher in Edinburgh in 2010. I graduated from the University of the West of Scotland with a Masters in Education (Artist Teacher programme) in 2013, at which point I presented a talk on 'Digital futures at the heart of Art, Craft and Design Education' at the NSEAD (National Society for Education in Art and Design) National Conference at the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Arts, Gateshead, England in 2014.
I continue to teach Art & Design in the North East of Scotland.
- 'Markings' solo exhibition, Parx Cafe, Aberdeen, 2018
- Cornerstone Foundation Art Fair, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen 2017
- Visual Arts Scotland, 'Fly' exhibition, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2016
- Junction Arts 'Mixed Winter Show', group exhibition, Junction Arts, Aberdeen, 2016
- RSA Open exhibition, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2016
- Visual Arts Scotland, 'Converge' exhibition, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2016
- RSA Open exhibition, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2015
- Visual Arts Scotland, 'VAS:t' exhibition, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh 2015 (winner of the Nancy Graham Memorial Bookprize)
- MacNaughtan's Bookshop and Gallery, group exhibition, Edinburgh, 2014
- UWS / GoMA Artist Teacher Masters exhibition 2013 (link)